The types of proposals SITE is looking for are wide-open, but require "innovation, creativity, and feasibility."
Similar projects in cities such as New York and Chicago have been gaining steam in the last few years, but this is the first such event in Santa Fe. New Philips Director and Chief Curator Irene Hofmann brought the project here as a "response to feeling that there is always more SITE could do for local artists to support a creative community."
SITE's micro-grants will come from sliding-scale ticket prices at Santa Fe Farmers Market dinners, funded by local businesses and individuals. Depending on ticket sales, the grants will range from $1,000 to $2,500. Hofmann says she expects the event to happen three times a year.
Proposals are due Jan. 1. Details on how to apply are pasted below.
HOW TO APPLY:
We encourage all artists, thinkers, and creative people at any stage in their career to apply. We seek to fund innovative projects in all disciplines including performances, publications, public projects, and interactive pieces.
All proposals will be reviewed by a committee that includes curators, artists, writers, filmmakers, and performers.
Proposals will be evaluated with the following in mind:
--Administrative skill (feasibility of your project, writing/work sample quality)
If your proposal is accepted, you will be invited to attend our inaugural SPREAD on Friday, March 18, 2011 where you will make a short oral presentation (seven minutes) so that SPREAD diners can get excited about your project. If your idea wins the most votes, you get the grant that evening (in cash!) Then you will return to a future SPREAD dinner to talk about the progress of your project.
SPREAD mico-grants fund New Mexico-based artist projects. SPREAD grants are project specific and are generally $1,000-$2,000; they are not for funding an artist's general work, nor art gallery/ non-profit organizations' overall work. If you have a question about how this might apply to you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no calls.
SPREAD APPLICATION PROCESS
Four questions, four hundred words, four images
1. OVERVIEW: How would you summarize your project? (approx 200 words)
2. IMPLEMENTATION: How will you use the grant to make your idea happen? Will you buy materials, hire workers, rent a space? Be specific. (approx 50 words)
3. DETAILS: What is your project timeline? and how can we reach you? (approx 50 words):
4. IMPACT: Why is this project important? (approx 100 words)
1. Submit 4 digital images (3"x 5"max size) relating to your project or past projects in order to better illustrate your idea above. (examples: sketches for project proposal, maps, diagrams, or other related imagery)
2. Each image should be numbered.
3. Attach a corresponding numbered list of one-sentence descriptions for each image.
We invite you to submit applications beginning on December 1, 2010 (check back here for our submission email address!). The submission deadline will be January 1, 2011. (Sorry, we cannot accept hard copies of proposals.)
Submissions selected for the inaugural SPREAD will be contacted by February 15, 2011.
SITE Santa Fe
1606 Paseo de Peralta